Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Review- Anne Hawksmoor: Time in the Tower by K.C Harry



The life of a pre-teen is hard enough... but the bullies at ANNE HAWKSMOOR’s school make it even worse. Every day, Anne finds herself seeking refuge in the Chicago Public Library, burying herself in her favorite history, science, and math books... distant from all of her peers.

But while on a summer visit to her ancestral home in Greenwich,
England, Anne visits the Tower of London with her cousin Claire...only to find themselves trapped in the year 1548. With a young King Edward and his servant James, Anne and Claire must journey on an epic adventure to find a way home before they are stuck in the 16th century forever.

Note: This is a 3-part series in one book
 
 
My Rating
 
3.5
 
 
My Review
 
Anne Hawksmoor: Time in the Tower is a lovely middle grade/lower young adult novel that can appeal to a wide variety of tastes. I loved the combination of science fiction, fantasy and historical fiction. After all, there is just about everything you can ask for crossover genres of the sorts: time travel, kings and dragons. It's a fun, lighthearted adventure that makes for an equally enjoyable read.
 
The characters have many wonderful qualities, even if certain aspects are a bit stereotypical. I loved the interactions between them, and how everyone had their own strengths and weaknesses. At times, it felt like the dialogue and wisdom was a bit mature for their age, and I forgot how young they were, but that made an interesting development that added to their personalities.
 
I found the themes of Anne Hawksmoor: Time in the Tower to be absolutely brilliant. There are great messages that the characters learn from their adventure that will carry with them through the future. I'm sure that the same lessons will follow readers long after finishing the novel, and that's something pretty incredible.
 
The plot of the novel was both exciting and enchanting, and after reaching a certain point, I couldn't put it down. In fact, there were certain scenes that I would have liked to see more of, just because I enjoyed them so much. But I can't complain, not with the quick pacing of the read.
 
Anne Hawksmoor: Time in the Tower is thoroughly enjoyable, and I loved how magical of a read it was. I definitely would not mind to read more from these characters in the future, as I do believe that ending leaves for the possibility.  

No comments:

Post a Comment