Friday, August 1, 2014

Review: NIL by Lynne Matson



On the mysterious island of Nil, the rules are set. You have one year. Exactly 365 days--to escape, or you die.

Seventeen-year-old Charley doesn’t know the rules. She doesn’t even know where she is. The last thing she remembers is blacking out, and when she wakes up, she’s lying naked in an empty rock field.

Lost and alone, Charley finds no sign of other people until she meets Thad, the gorgeous leader of a clan of teenage refugees. Soon Charley learns that leaving the island is harder than she thought . . . and so is falling in love. With Thad’s time running out, Charley realizes that to save their future, Charley must first save him. And on an island rife with dangers, their greatest threat is time.
My Rating
4
My Review
I look at the cover of the book in my hands, fingers tracing over the title. Nil. It's pretty. I dig the cool colors, the tropical paradise slightly warped by something darker underneath. Kickin'. Plus, I like the concept. A bunch of teens waking up on a mysterious island that isn't supposed to exist and only having a year to escape - if they can even make it that long?
Um. Awesome.
Leaning back into my comfortable chair, I start reading the pages. It's pretty good. There's some really beautiful description, and the characters are nice enough. Charley is smart and interesting enough, even if I sort of want to shake her shoulders yelling "shut up, you're hot". Thad is strong and a good leader, plus he has a really awesome name, although he could cool it a bit on the romantic front. Still, I like the distinct personalities in the dialogue, even if it isn't as apparent in the narrative. The supporting characters are pretty diverse. Natalie is a favorite. (Later on, Dax will be one too.) The imagery takes me to the location of the island, and although I'm a bit disconnected, I'm enjoying it.
It's nice that there's not a bunch of kids sitting around doing nothing. They've got a pretty impressive setup going on. Paper, soap, shelter, fresh fruits and fish? Not bad. Hell, factor in the fact that literally everyone on the island is very attractive and barely dressed? Sign me up. I'll take my chances with the danger and the darkness that's not all too apparent yet.
I'm still chuckling to myself when, suddenly, something shifts. Like a shimmering portal opens up and yanks me in, my thoughts just sort of disappear altogether. I'm engrossed, I'm captivated. It's like I'm there. I can see the urgency and the mystery and it's like Nil herself is pulling me in because there's something dark underneath that island and it's just out of everyone's reach, even my own...

I do the only thing I can do and keep reading like that's my way of surviving.
I didn't fall immediately, but once I did, I fell  hard.

Captured by the sense of urgency as the days continued to pass and the gates continued to roll. Enthralled by the growing mystery of the island and the discoveries that only bring up more questions. Feeling every cross carved into the wall, smiling at the romance - rushed so it isn't wasted. The ending takes me for surprise, but I'm not completely satisfied. A part of me wishes I could go back to walk away from the city and explore Nil myself. There's something more here that the characters aren't going into. There's something about this island, drawing me in and holding me captive. I have to know more, I need to know more...

Then the chapters run out. And I still haven't escaped.

No comments:

Post a Comment