Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Review: Amulet of Elusion by Katie Lynn Johnson


Summary:

Alexa Costa has a life-altering secret…only she doesn’t know it yet.

Confined by law to the kingdom of Alvair until the age of eighteen, Alexa Costa has lived a sheltered existence under the watchful eye of her sword-wielding guardian, Ivy. Her love interest, Caleb Whitman, is exactly the opposite. A merchant sailor and seeker of rare artifacts, Caleb has lived a life of adventure in nearby San Lucero, the long-time rival of Alvair.

After her eighteenth birthday, Alexa’s quiet existence becomes tumultuous, and she realizes she does not need to seek to find adventure. Myths become real, legend becomes fact, and Alexa discovers that she possesses rare abilities which make her a target for both sides in a centuries-old struggle for power. She must use every resource available to her—including her talents with the supernatural Amulets— to help her friends, rekindle her romance with Caleb, and save her island home from destruction.

My Rating: 4

My Review:

If you like YA fantasy as much as I do, chances are, you'll love Amulet of Elusion. With good pacing, lots of action, lots of romance and even a historical feel - it truly has something for everyone.
The idea of the amulets in general was enchanting and I loved discovering more about the potential and the abilities of each unique gem. Having specific people, the Interpreters, be able to further unlock the power really added to the plot. Together, Johnson beautifully crafted that magical feeling one looks for in fantasy novels.

I fully believe that I have the heart of an adventurer, and that part of me really came out through the reading. Between searching for rare artifacts by boat in the beginning (I mean, how cool is that?) to the massive amounts of sword fighting used in battle, the action is high quality throughout.

If you read my reviews, you know that I mention character a lot. (In fact, I mention mentioning characters a lot.) Characters are what a look for most in a novel. Luckily, Johnson delivers. Alexa is a strong female character, and even though she had to face a lot of adversity in her life, she still holds a remarkable outlook. I also really enjoyed that she could fight well on her own, and protect herself when needed. I loved Tobias, who showed just how corrupt leaders can get, and Jada, who is that delightful kind of female psychopath.

Speaking of characters: fangirls, let me introduce you to Caleb. He is strong attractive, incredibly skilled at fighting, and a true gentleman. Also, he owns a ship. Are you drooling yet? Wait until you read his dialogue. Even if I didn't like 'instalove' (which, for the record, I'm almost always cool with) I would have to admit that, in his case, it is understandable. (Besides, the romance is so sweet. It hits the heart without being so overbearing that it takes away from the plot.)

Although I could probably go on and on for hours about why you should read this book, I will conclude by saying simply that you should read this book. I can't wait to continue with the rest of the series, and I fully believe that readers will enjoy Amulet of Elusion as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment