Thursday, June 20, 2013

Review of Easy "A" (Magic School USA Book #1) by Charlie Fey

I am currently in Firenze, Italia (Yeah, yeah, Florence) bringing you a review for this lovely book. Since I am posting on my iPod, my usual format is not able to be completely followed, and I can't update my review archive just yet, so I apologize for that. 

I would chat more but my shower has a light in it that changes colors. And that is awesome. 

It's the little things in life. Like this awesome novel I will now finally talk about:

Rating:
4

Synopsis: 
The Magic School USA series blends the supernatural action of Harry Potter with the outrageous fun of Animal House, all to bring you a story that is out of this realm WILD!


Richard "Vegas" Beltran is an underachiever. That's bad for any student, but it's especially bad when you go to a wizardry school. Black Magic is something to be taken very seriously, but Vegas has been caught smoking "eye of newt" in the boys' bathroom, and all of his bubbling cauldrons contain ice and alcohol...

The principal, Professor Diaz, is ready to drop Vegas into a slower-paced magic class. But Vegas would rather die, Houdini-style, in a botched escape act than have to suffer through "remedial magic."

After all, Vegas only came to Absolution Academy, school for the "Paranormal Sciences," to learn a spell that would bring his girlfriend, Katherine, back from the DEAD.

Unfortunately, now that his tuition's been paid, he finds that resurrecting the dead is an act of Godslaughter--a forbidden form of magic--and at Absolution Academy, an illegal activity. 
But "illegal" is a funny word... one among many that Vegas doesn't seem to know the meaning of...



**Easy A** 


Vegas is determined to find the spell he needs to bring his beloved back from the DEAD. His teachers warn him that it's a criminal act. Haters are motivators, and Vegas is sure he'll be able to do what even his teachers CAN'T. 

He strikes up a deal with creepy professor Allen Allens. If Vegas survives one night of "detention" in Dr. Allens torture chamber, Allen Allens will give Vegas a spell book that contains the spell he needs. 

...The forbidden Resurrection spell... 

And if Vegas doesn't pass the evil Doctor's death trap for teenagers? He can choose between being Allens' gorgeous young sex slave or face the cold grip of DEATH. 

...Death is the better deal. 

It's all or nothing for Richard Beltran and if he dies at least he'll never have to eat that sh*tty school cafeteria food ever again...

---------------------------------------------------------------

My Review:

Magic School U.S.A is highly entertaining, highly addictive, and will definitely leave the reader wanting more. 

It has been some time since I read a novel that made me laugh out loud on multiple occasions. But I highlighted every brilliantly comedic line in this novel, and at least half of the pages have some green sentences. The characters are all well-developed, adding their own unique personalities that adds to the story as a whole.

The humor is definitely one of the best parts of the novel, and will appeal to teenagers and adults alike. Certain parts are very parody, and will do a great job in brightening your mood (which is slightly ironic, giving the nature of some of the characters.) 

Fey has a great voice throughout the novel, and uses it well. From the beginning line of "Drop dead, motherfucker!", I was sure that this would be a novel I can enjoy, and I was right. Throughout reading, Magic School U.S.A will have you completely consumed with the characters, plot, and witty dialogue.

I want to thank Fay for reminding me that fart jokes are still hilarious, as well as for writing a truly wonderful comedy. It definitely made my long plane ride more enjoyable, and I think that is something magical.

I will eagerly await book two, hoping to see more of Seth, and am excited for the laughs that are sure to come.

To fans of magic, sorcerers, magicians, those who have a bit of an immature sense of humor, and those who have any sense of humor at all, I would recommend giving Magic School U.S.A a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment